word type: acronym
- Fuck My Life.
Editorial + Usage
"FML" is an acronym that represents the clueless nature and lack of perspective represented by many players who are in their teens and twenties.
Poker Terms considers this the result of the fact that this sub-group of young poker players never had to do real work or encounter much struggle, having been born into an era during which we were privileged enough to make a living by playing a gambling game!
In other words, it is rarely actually an appropriate response to the situation at hand, which is usually no worse than losing a poker hand as a 4-1 favorite.
By way of comparison, let's look at some previous uses of the phrase throughout history:
- Black people over the course of 400 years of slavery: "FML."
- Residents of Ireland during the potato famine of the 1840s: "FML."
- Jewish refugees of World War II: "FML."
- New York City homeless man, circa 1994: "FML."
- Online poker stud Ryanbluf after getting stung by a four outer in 2009: "FML."
In Pop Culture
The acronym FML has spawned the popular website fmylife.com. You can read more about the site at Wikipedia.